McLeod School of Medical Technology Description of Profession
Welcome to the medical technology profession where analysis is the key.
A highly-skilled team of laboratory health professionals work together to:
- Determine the presence, extent or absence of disease
- Provide valuable data needed to evaluate the effectiveness of treatment
The fact is: The practice of modern medicine will be almost impossible without today's clinical laboratory.
Characteristics of a Medical Technologist
- are problem solvers
- like challenge and responsibility
- are accurate and reliable
- work well under pressure
- communicate well
- set high standards for themselves
- are fascinated by science
Why Medical Technology?
Medical Technologists, also called clinical laboratory scientists or medical laboratory scientists, often select the profession because they enjoy biological sciences and want a career where they help to improve someone's health.
Medical Technologists ranks high in healthcare professions
- very low unemployment
- good job security
Where Does a Medical Technologist Work?
- Hospital Laboratory
- Reference Laboratory
- Physician Office Laboratory
- Fertility Clinic
- Pharmaceutical Company
- Research Laboratory