McLeod School of Medical Technology
McLeod School of Medical Technology Student Handbook
If you would like to learn more about a career in medical technology, please download the McLeod School of Medical Technology Student Handbook
For Fall 2023 Program admissions, we have extended the deadline for applications to May 31, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Welcome to McLeod School of Medical Technology
The School of Medical Technology is located in McLeod Regional Medical Center Laboratory in the McLeod Tower on the McLeod Regional Medical Center Campus in Florence, SC; McLeod Health.
The hospital-based program was established in 1977 to help provide the Pee Dee with qualified medical technologists. The program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS). Students accepted into the program are either college seniors from an academic affiliate or have already completed their bachelor's degree.
The twelve month program begins in August. Class size is limited with an average of six students per year. The faculty is composed of laboratory supervisors and medical technologists. Students rotate through Hematology, Immunochemistry, Microbiology, and Blood Bank for eight to ten week periods. There are shorter rotations in Body Fluids and Phlebotomy.
Upon completion, a student should have entry-level competencies of a medical technologist and will be eligible to sit for national certification exams. Graduation is not contingent on passing any national certification board exam. Deadline for the application process (including interview) is March 1st. If class is not filled, applications completed by March 1st will be considered. Final deadline may be extended to June 15th if admission cycle is not closed.
Location of the McLeod School of Medical Technology
McLeod School of Medical Technology is located inside of the McLeod Regional Medical Center in Florence, SC. All lectures are held in the MT Classroom in McLeod's laboratory. All clinical rotations are held in McLeod's laboratory.
555 East Cheves Street
Florence, South Carolina 29506
McLeod Regional Medical Center Campus Map , with directions to the McLeod School of Medical Technology.
The McLeod School of Medical Technology is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS). Contact information for NAACLS:
5600 North River Rd., Suite 720
Rosemont, Illinios 60018-5119
Web Site: www.naacls.org
The mission of the McLeod School of Medical Technology is to ultimately serve the needs of the people in the Pee Dee Region of South Carolina by helping to provide quality laboratory services through employment of our graduates.
- To prepare the student to assume employment as a responsible, competent medical technologists using entry-level skills in any area of the clinical laboratory. Entry-level competencies are outlined in the handbook on this site.
- To present theoretical knowledge that would allow the student to become a competent medical technologist.
- To instill in the student the realization that continuing education is an integral part of being a competent medical technologist.
- To guide the student in developing interpersonal skills and attitudes needed to interact with patients, other laboratory staff members, and other medical disciplines to provide quality laboratory services while demonstrating caring attitudes.
- To prepare the student with entry level body of knowledge for a medical technologists enabling them to pass national certification examinations.
For addition information, please contact:
April B. Orange, MM, MLS(ASCP)CM
McLeod School of Medical Technology
PO Box 100551
Florence, SC 29502-0551